50 benefits of hiring an older worker. What would you add to this list?


As you may have seen from my post ‘10 Reasons Why You are Your Own Biggest Asset’, here:
I believe that older workers are massively undervalued by prospective employers.

I fully believe that hiring an older employee is a good business decision. So let’s try and create an all encompassing list of all the real benefits for employers when hiring older workers. Perhaps we can also distinguish between the myths and realities of hiring older workers?  After it is complete I  will publish it for all to see. So start listing your favourite selling points to hiring managers in the comments below. Thanks.

Here’s my  Top 10 again  for starters:

  1. You have a strong work ethic

  1. You’ve learned things by being there even if you’ve not actually done them

  1. You know how to communicate clearly

  1. You know that the customer is king

  1. You don’t have to be told what to do, or in what order

  1. You have an innate appreciation of risk

  1. You can listen as well as you speak

  1. You don’t panic in a crisis

  1. Your ego is not out of control

  1. You know that you are worth a lot more than just what it says on your CV

As you will also know if you’ve read some of my other posts, I believe that not only are employers missing out on all this value, but these very same strengths equip the over 40s exceptionally well to set up and run their own businesses. I fully expect that the additional points you add will strengthen this argument further still. Let’s see…

2 comments:

  1. Neil thanks for this encouraging post. I can get discouraged and think that maybe I should just put myself on an iceberg. But this reminds me of the value that I can have. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,

    Many thanks for your comments.I am so pleased you found this encouraging. I think it can be easy to forget our unique strengths just because others are too prejudiced or narrow minded to see these for themselves.

    I will be posting much more on this over the coming weeks, so please keep coming back for more and I'd really love to hear more of your reactions.

    Kind regards

    Neil

    ReplyDelete