Get a job you love faster – here’s how I will help you



By Neil Patrick

I had a rude awakening last night. One of my Twitter followers said words to the effect – ‘Can you actually help me find a job?’

Career development development and job hunting have gone through a silent revolution in the last few years. Trying to explain this and help people deal with it is the whole purpose of my online presence. So I was stunned to say the least. It prompted me to think though that perhaps I should provide a more complete guide as to how I can help.

I think many people, especially mature professionals have no idea how the process of finding a new job has changed beyond all recognition in the last couple of years. Yes it really has been that dramatic and fast. If the last time you got a new job was more than two years ago, you just will not succeed today with the same approach and methods you used last time round.

That’s the reason I set up 40pluscareerguru, because in this terrible recession  too many people’s talents are going to waste and I wanted to do something about it.

So here’re all the things I provide right now every day for free.

  1. Daily jobs news and tips

Yes this is a blog. But it’s a blog with a purpose. I want to provide mature professionals with insight into the evolution of jobs and hiring processes in the digital age. Ironically, this is not so easy to find amongst the deluge of generalized and shallow information which is all over the web. Every day I scan my news feeds for what I consider to be the most valuable and helpful news articles and blog posts I can find. What I consider the best and most insightful, I share on Twitter. I also put up new posts every week, either by myself or the experts who I collaborate with.

If you wish you can subscribe to my posts by email. Now I know this is a danger sign for most of us these days. If you wish to do this, you'll just get my new posts delivered to your email box. Typically once or twice a week. That's it! No offers, sales messages, links or other junk. And of course I will never share your email address with anyone else. Ever.


  1. New job vacancies daily feed

Not only do I post new information regularly, I also retweet lots of vacancies I come across as soon as they are announced. You’ll see these in my Twitter timeline. Some of these appear in the Twitter feed on this blog, but to see them all, you’ll need to look at my Twitter timeline daily.

If you are a recruiter and you'd like me to include your vacancies, please let me know.

  1. Finding work – the best tips from the world’s greatest experts

Since I set up 40pluscareerguru, I have been privileged to connect with many of the world’s greatest recruiters, coaches, and HR leaders. Not only do I share what I consider to be their best insights and tips through Twitter,  you can also connect with them directly yourself, just by following them. This list is growing daily and fast. 

  1. Quickly find YOUR key recruiters anywhere in the world

Importantly, my Twitter account is set up so you can easily find and connect with any of my key recruiter contacts. To help you, I have organised these into public lists, grouped by region. You can access these by going to my lists on Twitter. So if for example, you want to get a job in Australia, you can go to my Australia and New Zealand recruiters list and follow all the recruiters there. Then, not only will get a steady stream of their job vacancies straight into your Twitter account, you’ll be able to contact them directly and make them aware of your job hunt and get them working to help you.

You'll find my lists here

I have also written a post here which provides you with a strategy to get recruiters on your side and working harder for you.


  1. Finding top recruiters is only part of the task

It’s really valuable to be able to find the right recruiters quickly, but of course recruiters work for their clients not for you. Generally, they are far too busy with this to help job candidates craft their resumes and LinkedIn profiles into super-slick selling machines which will have jobs finding them (yes, if you do it right, that is exactly what will happen).

At least 90% of the professionals I help have sub optimal LinkedIn profiles and/or resumes. Not only that, most do not know how to use LinkedIn effectively so the jobs find them. But if you follow this blog and my Twitter account, you'll get regular information and tips that will help you improve your job search, LinkedIn profile and what folks these days call your personal brand strategy (Yuk!).


  1. Connect with me on Linkedin

Twitter is great for providing a steady stream of new information and leads. But it’s not really possible for me to help anyone through public Tweets of 140 characters. However if you connect with me on Linkedin, we can exchange information in private.  So I'm always happy to accept invitations to connect on Linkedin. Here’s the link to do this   http://linkd.in/10EqkCT


Finally, if you'd like to help me help more people, do please share my posts via any of the buttons at the top of each page and hit the G+ like button whenever you feel I deserve it! Thank you :-)

So I hope this post helps you get more out of this blog and helps you achieve your career aspirations faster. Please let me know what you think and how I can be more helpful in the coming months.

4 comments:

  1. Neil, thank you for this. I just did a webinar last week and asked my audience what their biggest challenge was in their job search process and several said ageism. I will be forwarding this link to them in hopes that you can empower them on their job search. Thanks again.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti,

      Thanks so much for this. I'll be happy to help any of your webinar delegates that contact me. I've got alot more new things on their way soon too, so stay tuned for much more!

      Kind regards

      Neil

      Delete
  2. Hi Neil...

    well spoken from the heart........great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Axel,

      Lots more to come after my recent downtime. Your support is hugely appreciated.

      Best wishes

      Neil

      Delete