Survey: Many Older Workers Not Planning On Retiring Soon, If At All



NEW YORK (CBSNewYork)

A new survey released on Tuesday indicated that many people approaching retirement age have no intention of stopping working.

Forget the rocking chair or a fishing pole – a CareerBuilder survey said 60 percent of people over 60 plan to retire and then look for a new job. Seventy-five percent plan to delay retirement from their current job.

Many people in the West Village said they never plan to retire, 1010 WINS’ Holli Haerr reported.

“I would never retire because I love what I do, and because I have fun, and I never know if I’m working or playing,” said Nathan, an actor who also works at a travel company.

Nathan is 62, takes the jobs he wants and enjoys it.

“I believe, and always have believed, in doing what makes you feel good; what you feel good about doing,” he said. “Actually, I just booked an episode of ‘Blue Bloods,’ so I’m just coming from that audition today.”

How long does Nathan plan to keep working? “Until there’s no breath in my body,” he said.

Al Kuan has two jobs, and he has no plans to give either up. He has no plans to retire “ever, ever,” he told Haerr. Kuan runs his old tour company called Do It Like a New Yorker. He also walks dogs.

“I love it. It gets me outside. It gets me talking to people on the street,” he said.

Kuan said he thinks retirement is hazardous to people’s health.

“I’m never going to retire,” he said. “I think when somebody retires, it’s time to die.”

The CareerBuilder survey included more than 680 workers age 60 or older. One in 10 respondents said they do not expect ever to retire, while 27 percent expected to retire in one or two years.

“We’re seeing more than three quarters of mature workers putting off retirement, largely due to financial concerns, but also as a personal decision made by people who enjoy their work,” Brent Rasmussen, President of CareerBuilder North America, said in a news release.

 “The majority of workers who have talked with their bosses about staying on past retirement found their companies to be open to retaining them. If you’re approaching retirement age but hope to continue working, an open line of communication is very important.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/02/27/survey-many-older-workers-not-planning-on-retiring-soon-if-at-all/

2 comments:

  1. This is so "right on" Neil. Retirement IS hazardous to one's health. Thanks for the insight and update. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glenn, thank you for your support and for posting here. As long as I have a beating heart, I don't think I'll ever stop working either!

      Delete